My mom was one of those moms that made a fresh batch of your favorite cookies every time she came to visit in college (or you know, now)…. only my favorites weren’t cookies per se … they were “Frosted Chews”…. or, as I’ve come to find out “Scotcheroos Rice Krispies Treats”. They are amazing…but that is beside the point. The POINT is …. that when The Motherhood and Kellogg’s™ Rice Krispies™ offered me a chance to work with three of my favorite local bloggers in a Rice Krispies Treats™ food challenge…my little heart skipped a beat (or two).
Over the course of this year, Kristen from Dine and Dish, Kelly from Kansas City Mamas and Julie from My Kansas City Mommy and I will compete four different times against three other groups across the country. Kellogg’s™ Rice Krispies™ will provide us with different themes for our competitions and the first theme is: Easter!
So hold onto your hats because this is amazing! Kristen shared with us a recipe she uses for homemade Kettle Korn … you know…yummy sweet and salty goodness?! THEN she shared an idea about using that concept to create….. *drumroll*
Kettle Krispies Treats! The sweet and salty of Kettle Korn with the light Rice Krispies™ and gooey marshmallows? To.Die.For. So we gave it a whirl and whipped up a couple of batches (for testing, of course).
Seeing as how we all have young kids, it was important to us that this recipe needed to be not only tasty, but easy and FUN! Something the kids would want to help out with. We decided that egg shaped Kettle Krispies would do the trick so we went Paula Dean on some plastic eggs (we buttered ‘em up, y’all!) and use that to mold our Easter Eggs. When we were finished we sprinkled some with sugar, some with candy sprinkles and well…since these babies can stand on their own we left some of them plain.
We used these for table decorations and even whipped up a little name tag to create a place setting….. a great idea for the “Kids’ Table” or a fun Easter Party Play Date!
So here it is for you…our recipe for Kettle Krispies Treats! (Don’t forget to keep reading!! If this recipe isn’t reason enough to make your day … I have about one hundred more to share in a minute!)
Kettle Krispies Easter Egg Treats
6 tablespoons butter
6 cups of Rice Krispies
3 teaspoons Kosher salt
2/3 cup sugar For Treats
1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons butter
5 cups mini marshmallows
Extra butter for greasing egg moldsDirections
- Melt butter in an iron skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Increase temp to medium high and add Rice Krispies, Kosher salt, and sugar.
- Stir continuously over medium high heat until Rice Krispies are caramelized and slightly brown. Around 7 minutes. (see below – notice someone’s nicely manicured hands.)
- Remove from stove and continue stirring for another three minutes until cool. Set aside.
- While Kettle Krispies are cooling, butter the inside of 12 large plastic eggs. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium-low heat.
- After mix is well blended, continue to stir and cook for two minutes longer.
- Add Kettle Krispies and stir till well coated. Remove from heat.
- Fill buttered egg molds with mixture and let them set for 10 minutes. Remove from molds and decorate if desired.
Kristen taught us that the secret to making these goodies is to make sure that your Rice Krispies get nice and caramelized in the skillet before you mix them into treats.
That is IT! Simple, right? Great! Now, onto something even sweeter!
Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats has given me a $100 Visa Gift Card to give to one of YOU! That’s right! I’ve got $100 for one of my lucky readers and that makes me SuperExcited! In return (#thisisnotabribe) I’m hoping that you will help me out as well (Remember I said this was a competition?)…I’m going to need some votes from you
Here is a time line for the next week:
NEXT WEEK - Rice Krispies™ will post all four entries on their Facebook Fan Page. Your vote will make a HUGE difference in the final tally. Have no fear … I will remind you every single day a couple of times to make sure you get over and vote!
April 10th – I’ll announce the winner of the $100 VISA Gift Card.
April 15th – Our #kcmommies team is participating as a host on a fun chat at The Motherhood. I’ll make sure to post the times and details so you can stop in and say hello!
April 21st – Rice Krispies® will announce the winner of the challenge on The Motherhood Making Memories Circle.
The Motherhood and Kellogg’s™ Rice Krispies™ Treats Making Memories Giveaway:
Each appropriate comment you leave will be considered one entry into this giveaway so make sure to leave separate comments for each entry you want considered:
1. Leave a comment telling me what your favorite Easter family tradition is. Is it hunting for baskets on Easter morning? A favorite dinner or treat you baked with your mom? Share!!
2. Head over to the SuperJenn Facebook Page and “Like” me …(but you have to really, REALLY LIKE ME! …. I had to, c’mon…). If you already do…well, THANKS! and leave me a comment letting me know you are there.
3. While you are on Facebook … “Like” the Rice Krispies™ page so you will be ready to go when it’s votin’ time. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done the deed.
4. Subscribe to my RSS Feed or let me know you already do.
5. Tweet this on Twitter: “Kettle Krispie Eggs Rock! See the #RiceKrispies recipe and enter the $100 Giveaway from @SuperJennBlogs http://www.superjenn.com/makingmemories Go #KCMommies!”
Standard Disclaimer or “Stuff You Should Realize by Now”:
I am working with The Motherhood and Kellogg’s™ Rice Krispies™ as a brand ambassador in the Making Memories Challenge. I am being compensated for my time and materials but will NOT be reimbursed for my Weight Watchers monthly dues when this challenge is over even though eating recipe after recipe of Rice Krispies Treats will put me “back on the wagon”. This is a competition and if my team should win, we stand to win a prize.
This giveaway will end at midnight CST on April 10, 2011. One winner will be drawn via Random.org and winner will be given 48 hours to claim their prize before another winner is drawn. In order to be eligible to claim your prize I must be able to contact you via email.
Abbreviated Rules. No Purchase Necessary. Begins no earlier than 12:00:00 AM (ET) on 03/28/11 and ends no later than 11:59:59 PM (ET) on 04/12/11. For complete Official Rules, go to http://web.mediacdt.com/docs/EasterGiveawayRules.pdf. Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Subject to complete Official Rules. Void where prohibited. Sponsor: The Motherhood; www.TheMotherhood.com. ®, TM, ©2011 Kellogg NA Co.